Refer Clients to the Lawyer Referral Service
Does your client have a legal problem outside your area of expertise? No problem. Simply refer them to the CBA’s Lawyer Referral Service (LRS). Our lawyers have been screened and must meet specific practice requirements. LRS lawyers are engaged in private practice and charge regular rates (no pro bono referrals). You can refer clients with confidence because the CBA LRS:
- Meets ABA standards for Lawyer Referral and Information Services
- Screens lawyers for experience and malpractice insurance
- Has lawyers located throughout Chicago and surrounding suburbs who practice in 40+ areas of law and speak several different foreign languages
- Offers referrals by telephone (312-554-2001) and online at www.chicagobar.org
Join the Lawyer Referral Service
Build your client base! If you would like to receive referrals and meet the requirements of the program, the CBA’s LRS can be a source of potential clients at a relatively low cost. Annual dues range from $75 - $300 for CBA members (rates are double for nonmembers). You collect a $30 fee for the CBA from each person referred that has an office consultation and pay 15% of fees collected on retained referred matters.
General Civil Litigation Panel Qualifications
- Handle general civil litigation (contract disputes, collections, property damage, etc.)
- Admitted to practice for a minimum of one year and engaged in the substantial private practice of general areas of law.
- Maintain an office outside your home.
- Maintain an adequate office calendar/support system for tracking cases.
- Have reasonable courtroom experience.
- Complete written application, maintain professional liability insurance, obtain approval of screening panel.
- If approved, annual registration fee of $75 if in practice under 5 years; $100 if 5 years or more (rates are double for nonmembers).
Special Experience Panels
- In addition to General Panel qualifications above, must have at least 5 years' concentrated experience in area of law applying for. Annual registration fee of $150 or $200 (depending on panel) for up to 4 panels (rates are double for nonmembers).
Special experience panels include:
- Attorney Registration & Disciplinary (ARDC)
- Church Law
- Civil Rights/Discrimination
- Computer Law
- Consumer Law
- Corporate Law
- Customs and International Trade Law
- Domestic Relations
- Domestic Relations - Flat Fee Uncontested Divorce
- Education/School Law
- Elder Law
- Employment - Civil Service
- Employment - Fair Labor Standards Act
- Employment - Family Medical Leave Act
- Employment - Non Union
- Employment - Union
- Entertainment Law
- Environmental Law
- Estate Planning/Trusts/Wills/Probate/Guardianship
- Health and Hospital Law
- Immigration and Naturalization
- Insurance Law
- Interstate Commerce Commission/Freight/Trucking
- Juvenile Law
- Legal Malpractice
- Medical Malpractice
- Mental Health
- Municipal Law/Annexation
- Nursing Home Malpractice
- Pension Plans/Profit Sharing/Employee Benefits
- Personal Injury/Product Liability
- Property Damage
- Real Estate - Commercial
- Real Estate - Litigation
- Real Estate - Residential
- Real Estate - Tax
- Sexual Abuse
- Social Security
- Tax - Federal and State
- Unemployment Compensation
- Workers Compensation
- Zoning Law
Limited Scope Referral Panels
- The CBA also has three Limited Scope Referral Panels in addition to the General and Special Experience Panels above. The three panels cover the following areas of law: landlord-tenant, domestic relations, and debt collection/consumer. Panelists must offer a wide variety of “unbundled” legal services to join these panels, which primarily target modest means clients.
- There is no annual registration fee to join these panels. Referrals are made at the courthouse and not through the LRS telephone and online systems.
Applications to Join the Lawyer Referral Service
To apply, please fill out the appropriate form below and send to Juli Vyverberg at firstname.lastname@example.org (Note: Not all areas of law have their own applications — those that don't should use the "Special Experience" application):
To apply, please fill out the appropriate form below (Note: Not all areas of law have their own applications--those that don't should use the "Special Experience" application):
- General Civil Litigation (Property Damage, Contract Disputes, Collections, etc.)
- Consumer Protection
- Commercial Real Estate
- Elder Law
- Fair Labor Standards Act
- Family Medical Leave Act
- Limited Scope Referral
- Nursing Home Malpractice Panel Supplement
- Real Estate Litigation
- Patent, Copyright, and Trademark
- Residential Real Estate
- Sexual Abuse
- Social Security Panel Supplement
- Special Experience (Use this for all other areas of law not listed above, including personal injury and medical malpractice)
- Supplement for Workers' Compensation
Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Proceedings
The Lawyer Referral Service has an ARDC panel of lawyers experienced in representing other lawyers in disciplinary proceedings before the Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission. Lawyers needing a referral should call the Lawyer Referral Service at (312) 554-2001 or the Director at (312) 554-2062.